I LOVE buttonhole applique...always have, always will! I love the simplicity of the technique and the way the stitching outlines the shapes. I guess thats my graphic design background shining through:)
|My in-progress example|
Anyway, when the KZNQG ladies asked me to do a demo at the last meeting, I picked my favourite...buttonhole applique:) For those of you who know and love the technique like I do, here are my handy hints for buttonhole applique:
Peppa-Jo's Tips and Tricks for Buttonhole Applique
- Use a nice sharp needle.
- Always sew anti-clockwise.
- Use good quality embroidery thread.
- I prefer to use 1 strand of thread; it seems to give a neater finish but thats only my preference. You should try with 2 strands and see what you prefer.
- Keep your stitches evenly spaced and the same length.
- Use good quality applique paper to avoid the irritation of fabric lifting while you are sewing. I usually buy mine from the Tollgate Guild.
- Plan your picture well before hand. Number each piece and take note of which pieces slot under each other. Number 1 should be the piece that goes on first and so on...
- Don't be afraid of small shapes, just make your stitches smaller.
And there you have it!! Happy Stitching:)
On a personal note, my son and I have taken on the HUGE task of painting the inside of our house!! If Peppa-Jo is quiet this week its because I am exhausted and covered in paint!! Luckily we only have two more rooms to go:)